June 3, 2014

Gonatopus boivinii - Giraffe's Knees


Gonatopus boivinii or Giraffe's Knees, a native of tropical E. Africa.



The leaf often reaches 3 ½ feet in height and is marbled with blackish-brown markings.

The plant only produces one leaf from its tuber when in growth. This one is trying to make a 2nd tuber.

The leaf stalk is swollen about halfway up giving it the appearance of a giraffe's knee.

 This is one of these plants that I did not buy and where it came from I don't know. This one I just dug out of the back yard and I have a few in the front yard what just came up also. A few years back I had one growing in a pot in my front yard that I sold on ebay, that was the first one that I know of. Where the other came from who knows? It is said to grow from leaf cutting as well.


 This one is in the front Yard

Blooming Time: Late Spring. The single flower is 8 inches tall and the spadix is 3 inches long.





No comments: