July 24, 2014

Navia igneosicola

UPDATE 7/23/2014

Well growing it like a Cryptanthus in a tray of water didn't work out as well as I had hope. The leave tips started to dry out. This passed winter  it didn't look that good. A lot of the lower leaves turned brown but it did make more offsets then I though it would. So came spring I removed 5 offsets and potted them up. 

All 5 offsets rooted easy and fast, and are growing good.  The 5 offsets came off the stem. The potting mix is what I use for most of my plants one part peat and three parts perlite.



None of them have flowered yet.



**************************************************************************
Navia igneosicola 12/11/11

Not much can be found on the internet about growing Navia's.
Almost all grow in high elevation and do not like growing at sea level.

I have been growing Navia igneosicola like  Cryptanthus.

Not in full sun and in a tray of water this pass summer. 
With winter on it way I am going to give full sun and no water in the tray.



Dec. 10, 2012

I did not know it could do this. Did you? 
Navia igneosicola Dec. 10, 2012 
 
‎August ‎07, ‎2012

Interesting article below:

NAVIA: AN ANCIENT AND EXTRAORDINARY BROMELIAD GENUS
Richard Evans Schultes
http://journal.bsi.org/V05/2/#A

If you are interested in more information check out the link below.

http://journal.bsi.org/search.cgi?query=Navia&page=1&per_page=10&max_text=500
 

No comments: